MAY SPOTLIGHT SCHOOL
Message from Principal Michelle Edwards
“Orr Elementary is a wonderful Title I school in Washington, D.C. that serves students preschool – 5th grade. We believe in continuous learning for all, small and tall. Teachers and staff participate in weekly professional development to improve classroom climate and instruction. Our goals are to increase reading and math scores and decrease student office referrals. We are a Tools of the Mind and Responsive Classroom School that believes in teaching self-regulation so our students can be independent learners and thinkers.”
Would you like to help this Spotlight School? Please click to contact us today!
Orr Elementary School…
- Is a Title 1 school that serves approximately 340 students in pre-school through fifth grade.
- Has been working hard to get their students reading! A recent benchmark assessment showed increased reading scores for their K-3 classes.
- Participates in the Tools of the Mind program where play and creativity are used as learning tools for academic success for the early-childhood classes.
- Is a Responsive Classroom School where teachers and staff focus on the social, emotional, and academic development of each student.
- Received a new library as a recipient of a Target School Library Makeover in partnership with The Heart of America Foundation® in 2011.
- Will be receiving four classroom libraries for their 1st and 2nd grade classes this May as part of Heart of America’s READiscovery Library program in sponsorship with CarMax.
- Click here to check out Orr’s school profile.
How Can You Help Orr Elementary School?
This school’s needs:
- You can help by donating hygiene packages and winter clothing for students PS-5th.
- Balls, jump ropes and other sports equipment for physical education classes and recess are needed.
- Orr Elementary loves to make learning fun and exciting by taking field trips! You can help by donating funds to their field trip programs.
- Ready to help now? Click here to donate money to The Heart of America Foundation to purchase new books for students at this school. Every $2.50 donated purchases a new book for a student.
Give the Gift of Volunteering
Become a student mentor/ tutor.
Volunteer to spend a day tending to beautification tasks such as painting, mulching and cleaning.
Volunteer as a guest speaker/ reader.
Hold a book drive to collect new books for students at this school. Ask us how.
We’re excited to work with you!
What are Spotlight Schools?
Through the Books From The Heart® “Spotlight School” profile, The Heart of America Foundation® highlights one DC Metro Area school monthly. Spotlight Schools need your support so that they can continue to help their students read, succeed and make a difference!
Look out for these upcoming 2013 Spotlight Schools:
- Amidon-Bowen Elementary School, Washington, DC (April 2013)
- Barnard Elementary School, Washington, DC (Mar. 2013)
- Cleveland Elementary School, Washington, DC (Jan. 2013)
- Garfield Elementary School, Washington, DC (June 2013)
- Langley Park-McCormick Elementary School, Hyattsville, MD (Feb. 2013)
- Orr Elementary School, Washington, DC (May 2013)
Contact us to support a Spotlight School.